Kacie Lett Gordon
23 February 2021 · 1 hr 13 mins
About this Episode
In today's show, Kacie Lett Gordon deconstructs the notion of having it all in our current times — she's working through that for herself with a number of other women on her podcast Fuck it All.
We start out by talking about being a bit nervous about being on a podcast as a guest and a podcast as a host, external and internal roles, the difference between honesty and authenticity, and how different people get their energy in different ways (she gets hers with alone time while her husband gets it from being around people).
We reach into many topics during this show, including how Kacie's mom was and is a role model for her, being a mother herself, how while she felt like she theoretically had it all she felt miserable (probably as a result of late-onset postpartum depression), the double standard of calling a woman bossy versus praising a man for the same behavior, good coffee in contrast to easy coffee, the importance of the mug, the power of curiosity, and, in her words, where part of the narrative of being a woman is "if you don't dislike yourself a little bit, then you're not humble."
There's a ton of books that we talk about — non-fiction and fiction. You can find those in the show notes. We also talk about a mutual friend Jen Dary and her So Now You're a Manager program from Plucky.
Stay tuned after the outro music to hear Kacie wonder, Who am I?
This episode was edited and mastered by Troy Lococo.
- Fuck It All
- WTF is FIA, an episode of Fuck It All
- "Dare to Lead" by Brené Brown
- "Everything Is Figureoutable" by Marie Forleo
- "Lean in" by Sheryl Sandberg
- "What Do People Do All Day?" by Richard Scarry
- "NurtureShock" by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
- List of values from Brené Brown's "Dare to Lead"
- Values exercise from Brené Brown's "Dare to Lead"
- A "good" Asian woman with Juinn Tan.
- "The Crown" on Netflix
- "Company of One" by Paul Jarvis
- "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson
- Oprah recites Dr. Maya Angelou's poem "Phenomenal Woman"
- "How to Think Like a Monk" by Jay Shetty
- "Group" by Christie Tate
- "The Leavers" by Lisa Ko
- "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee
- "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng
- Kacie Lett Gordon
- Intro and outro song: "Zombie Nation" by Jose Travieso